Friday, December 9, 2011

journey through Narnia...


I know I know... why pick Narnia to read? Well, it is on the top 100 list (for those who don't know the Top 100 list yet go back to my first blog and catch up) and for good reason. And although I have already read the book several times and have seen the movie several times it seemed like a logical choice. Santa is in Narnia after all.

After what I think was probably the coldest night of the winter so far in Columbia, it got me to thinking, why do I love winter so much? I don't particularly like being cold, although I do love being bundled up with hot Starbucks coffee... I don't like waiting on my car to defrost in the morning... I don't like heat bills in the winter... Yet, I love the winter.

I think the answer is obvious. My favorite holiday is in the winter. What would Christmas be like in hot weather? Any Floridians out there want to take a shot at that? Christmas just comes with cold, snow, ice, Frosty, Hot Chocolate, etc.  Christmas would not be the same without winter. Nor would winter be the same without Christmas.


Lucy finds this out in C.S. Lewis' famous classic, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. As Lucy discovers Narnia for the first time and enjoys tea and sardine toast with Mr. Tumnus, he shares with her three times in the second chapter of the book that Narnia is a place of winter all the time without Christmas. Now, I don't think Tumnus was just talking about freezing cold with no gifts, hot cocoa or candles. Tumnus was referring to a much greater spiritual reality in Narnia. Narnia was a place overtaken by the White Witch with no hope of ever experiencing life again.

Can you imagine a world without hope? Can you imagine our lives without hope? This Christmas season... spend time thanking God for the hope that is found only in the Incarnation of Jesus... and enjoy the winter... knowing full well that Christ comes and brings life again!  

1 comment: