Thursday, February 10, 2011

journey in conversionalism...

Christian evangelism, in my expert opinion, is extremely formula based. Pray this prayer, raise that hand, bow that head, close those eyes, don't look around or it may not take, use the cliche 'accepted Jesus into my heart', etc., etc. As much as I despise Christian conversionalism I find that I succumb to the same level of formula based evangelism all too often. O, not the classic 'Arminian' altar call... I would not think of such a thing. However, I do find myself in the sinking ship of classic 'Calvinistic' verbiage.  Did you 'repent' of your sin? Did you 'trust' Jesus only for your salvation? 'Have you experienced the 'irresistible call of God in your life'? Maybe I do not impose conversion actions, I sure do impose conversion language. 

It is interesting to me that in one of the most powerful conversion stories in all of the Gospels (again my expert opinion) we see great theology with no theologically imposed language. In Matthew, the tax collector and later disciple's conversion account, this is what we read. "'Follow me', Jesus said to Him, and Levi got up, left everything and followed Him."

For all of us good Presbyterian Calvinists we see plainly Unconditonal Election as well as Irresistable Grace. And for all of us good soteriologists we see repentance and faith clearly. But Jesus never imposes these beliefs or this language on Matthew. He simply says follow me and Matthew simply responds.

What do you ask has this to do with my goal of the 100 reads?

In A.W. Tozer's book 'The Pursuit of God' (my 2nd read out of 100) he has three references in his first chapter that speak to this explicitly. And it just so happened that I was reviewing his work after preparing a Sunday School lesson on the story of Matthew. Tozer states, "The whole transaction of religious conversion has been made mechanical and spiritless." To me this sounds like conversionalism. It even sounds a little like my judgment of students' testimonies. But it sounds nothing like the conversion of Matthew. You think Jesus did it right?

He goes on to say later in the first chapter, "The moment the Spirit has quickened us to life in regeneration our whole being senses its kinship to God and leaps up in joyous recognition." This is the barometer of judging a person's following after Jesus. And I dare say this characterizes Matthew quite accurately. Finally, Tozer states, "Right now we are in an age of religious complexity. The simplicity which is in Christ is rarely found among us. In its stead are programs, methods, organizations and a world of nervous activities which occupy time and attention but can never satisfy the longing of the heart." We have a lot of people being subjected to methods of salvation and appropriate theological language we and the Bible use to describe salvation and yet a lot of people devoid of the simple satisfaction that comes from knowing and following Christ. Matthew followed Christ, desired to know Him and make Him known.

This Sunday I will be teaching a group of high school students that the question is not how you encountered Jesus? The right question is 'what happened'? Did Jesus come to you? Did you leave everything and follow Him? According to the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke that is certainly enough.

Grace and peace...        

2 comments:

  1. jason. it seems i remain your sole comment-er, but i cannot be silent. i am so very grateful for this venue to remain connected to your heart...we love and miss you so... and, i am so very grateful for the truths written here as well. my own heart LEAPS up to say "amen and amen!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot help but think of a toddler responding to a parent who says "lets go". Toddlers just follow Daddy/Mommy wherever they go because they trust them with their very life. They don't question where or why or when they will return because they dont question the love of the parent. When we become a child of God shouldn't we do the same? He says "follow me" and we follow because we trust our Father and know His love. I always enjoy reading your blog because you challenge me to think through truth and RESPOND.

    ReplyDelete