Wednesday, May 4, 2011

journey through worship from an outsider...

I am always compelled with people's opinions of Christianity who are outside of Christianity. You see, I became a follower of Jesus at a very young age and know nothing different. However, there are so many in our world that have no long standing history with the way things are in the church.

In my latest read 'Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock', Andrew Beaujon records his experiences as a journalist investigating the phenomenon of Christian 'rock music' focusing on the history of Contemporary Christian Music and evaluating the Christian Music Industry. I have found much of his writing to be interesting but have also been challenged by his viewpoint of the industry (to which I have contributed a significant amount of money through the years). However, I think one of the most striking perspectives he has that has provided much consternation for me was his evaluation from an 'outsider's' perspective of a contemporary 'worship service'.

Beaujon, during his research process, had a chance to attend the GMA week in Nashville, TN and during the course of the week experienced a worship service not unlike the one I worship within each week.

His take on the actual music was not anything to write home about. He pretty much chalked every song up to being the exact same in time, progression and volume progression. I would have to agree... Inserting songs into Worship Media for the last 10 years of my life bears the truth: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, chorus... unless you are charismatic then the Spirit may lead you to another chorus or two or three, etc. There is some creativity when the song actually ends on an abbreviated version of the first verse... 

His take on the content disturbed me, not because I think he was wrong but because I think he was right. 'Worship tunes tend to evince an adolescent theology, one that just can't get over how darn cool it is that Jesus sacrificed himself for the world... Moreover, it's self-centered in a way that reflects evangelicalism's near-obsession with having a personal relationship with Christ. It's me Jesus died for. I just gotta praise the Lord... Absent is any hint of community found in hymns such as 'The Church's One Foundation' - the Jesus of worship music is a mentor, buddy, a friend whose message is easily distilled to a simple command - praise me... this is music by the saved only, for the saved only, an art form where the images projected on the giant  screens are more fruitful sources of meditation and reflection than the lyrics superimposed on them."

Now, my philosophy of worship music and worship in general is that it be a way that we communicate to God and those around us Who God Is and What God Has Done. Ultimatelt we are praising Him! However, if this is what people on the outside are getting when they walk throuh the doors and 'experience' worship my assessment is that the church may not be on the exact train track we need to be on! Jesus should be procalimed as way more than buddy or friend, but as Creator, Redeemer, Savior and King!

One last thought... Jesus told the Samaritan woman that true worshipers must worship in spirit and truth. Do you think the church may be at a place where we are worshiping more in spirit at the expense of truth? So, needless to say, Andrew has me thinking... what are we as a church communicating through our worship?

Your thoughts? 

2 comments:

  1. I like this post. I think these are exceptionally important things to examine, especially if we've grown up in the church our whole life and think our behavior is just "normal."

    My college roommate said she was weird out by Christians because we all closed our eyes and prayed at the same time. She said the idea of a group of people standing together with eyes closed so that no one could see what was going on freaked her out. I had NEVER thought of how that looks to others.

    The same type of "weirdness" is probably encountered during praise and worship. Of course, it's hard for us to see. Asking a completely non-churched friend to visit a service and give their feedback might be a good idea. I bet, if they felt free to be honest, we would learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, love your definition of worship; "communicate to God and those around us Who God Is and What God Has Done." Nailed it.

    I would agree with you (and Andrew) that most contemporary "praise and worship" songs don't communicate anything to those around us and have no sense of singing as a community/body of Christ. In other words, it's very individualistic and introspective.

    I think Hillsong United especially does this (at least their old stuff, haven't really gotten much of their new stuff). What does it communicate to others, "the art of losing myself in bringing you praise"? What about everybody else in the room with you? Can people lose themselves corporately? Should we then sing Amazing Grace so we can be found again? (sorry, couldn’t pass that one up) In my opinion, Hillsong United (besides some gems such as “Mighty to Save”), may be great for personal worship, but maybe not so much for corporate worship.

    This is why I personally love the "New Old Hymn" movement. So many hymns express clearly Who God Is and What He Has Done and, with a lot of hymns, we are actually singing to each other- building each other up by singing of our great Lord and Savior!

    However, in the Psalms we do find David being very personal and somewhat individualistic. But even in the Psalms we see David very aware of the community around him (David and the other Psalmists often cry out to God to act on behalf of “your people” and cry out “O God of Israel”).

    Ephesians 5:19 states that we are to “Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,”. Interesting that Paul mentions both singing to one another and singing to the Lord in this verse. I think I’ll end with Paul, seeing as how he was writing the inspired Word of God and all…

    ReplyDelete