Wednesday, May 18, 2011

journey to the Caller...

I am so pumped to be starting a book I've wanted to read for years now and should have read years ago. I first heard about "The Call" by Os Guinness from John Musselman, founder and president of  'The Jackson Institute', who uses this in his discipleship program (check out his organization here: www.jacksoninstitute.com). Os Guinness' classic is also on CPYU's recommended reading list and is included in "Besides the Bible: 100 Books That Have, Should, or Will Create Christian Culture".  Interestingly, Os Guinness comes from the family most famous for 'Guinness' beer. Os' family also has a long history of faithful ministers of the Gospel thus proving that ministry and beer are not mutually exclusive.

I wanted to leave everyone with Os' definition of 'call', one which I think will provide much food for thought... "For the moment let me say simply that calling is the truth that God calls us to Himself so decisively that everything we are, everything we do, and everything we have is invested with a special devotion and dynamism lived out as a response to His summons and service."

Thinking critically about my life... this sums up my life, albeit with many flaws and times of wondering what in the world God is doing and what in the world I am supposed to be doing... I know God has 'decisively' called me to Himself and my prayer everyday is that everything I am, do and have is in response to His call.

My prayer is also for you... Is your life characterized by a dynamism and devotion directed at the 'Caller'?

'Cheers' to the beginning of a great book and 'cheers' to all living in response to the call...

1 comment: